Day 35-

For the love of Handbags-

Some of my favorite handbags are vintage. Not the ones that you purchase at the department store or online boutique, not Louis Vuitton, Gucci, Celine or even Hermes. I like the ones that you have to hunt for, at thrift stores, estate sales or antique shops. I love handbags that have history and a story to be told. The ones that were carried by a grandmother to church on Sunday or to the beach on a lazy afternoon. The kind that carried an old fashioned compact with a mirror, or a lipstick in the color red or a book of matches and even a scarf for a windy day.

   

             

I have loved handbags ever since I can remember. My mother gave me an old one of hers when I was around 9 years old and I still have it. It is an olive green leather clutch that she purchased at B. Forman Co. at Ridgemont Plaza in the 1960's, I remember, I was with her as I was very Saturday when she went to have her hair done. I could never forget that bouffant hairdo.

       


I have been collecting handbags for as long as I can remember, at least 40 years. I use them for awhile and give them away or donate them, sell them and move on to the next. The vintage ones they never leave. I can't bear to part with them. It's like giving away history, never to have it back again. They tell so much about the person that used them. They are perfect because they can be used for so many things. They make great Art bags to hold supplies, they look beautiful filled with vintage doilies or a collection of vintage perfume bottles or to hold towels in your bath, or a vessel for books. They have so many possibilities. and they hold many stray bits and bobs.



It can be practical and utilitarian or luxurious and frivolous, mass-produced or hand-crafted. From bags made from leather to the ones made of wicker or canvas they are pure magic. There are bags you can take to the beach or out for a day in the park, or to a picnic. A women's purse is the place to house all of her treasures, personal items, and those things that can't live be lived without on a daily basis. But whether fashionable or functional, the handbag and what it contains is also intensely personal. I just don't see how anyone can live without one, or many for that matter.

I can't imagine leaving home with out my bag. What about you? Does your handbag hold your life's many objects and maybe a secret or two?

The only thing lacking in mine is money........



Until tomorrow- Be Safe

"Behind every successful women is a fabulous bag"




Comments

Popular posts from this blog