Day 28-

Second Hand Shopping Post Pandemic Trip Idea's-

There are so many really fun second hand places to shop in and around Rochester and I would like to share several of my favorites. Second hand shopping has been such a trend in the last 10-15 years that it is getting harder to get your hands on really good stuff, with more people collecting and reselling than ever before. From clothing and furniture to kitsch and vintage tchotchke's I have got some places for you to try. Hopefully this will help if you are looking for something special. 

I personally like the really junkie junk, the stuff you can rehab or turn it into your own treasure so one of my favorite places to dig is the Goodwill outlet, or "The bins" as everyone calls it,  4 Chameney Terr, next to the public market. It's dirty and gritty but a treasure trove if you have the patience to dig.  It definitely takes a special kind of person to be able to rummage through bins of trash, but I find it so worth it especially if I walk away with a long sought after treasure. I find the best vintage linens here, from 1940's-1960's tablecloths to handmade quilts. Be careful though because there is broken glass everywhere. Do not reach into a bin without looking first, gloves are a must! Give it a try, you may love it and find that special item.

                         Goodwill Clearance Center - 10 Photos - Thrift Stores - 4 ...



Next I will give a shout out to Greenovation at 1199 E Main S, this used to be the old Vietnam Veterans Store for years until it closed. I have found some really great treasures here as well, they never disappoint. They usually have some fantastic vintage frames at a great price. They have a little bit of everything from furniture to books and a little of everything in between. They also are willing to negotiate, so don't be afraid to ask for a better price if you see something you like. Here I found a huge box full of vintage greeting cards and practically stole it for $30. We also found a vintage metal radiator cover here for $50. Though this is not a place that I frequent on a regular basis as it can be a bit overwhelming, I do hit it several times a year.

                                        Rochester Greenovation

Following all of my instincts not to mention Saver's I must. Saver's 980 Ridge Rd, Webster. I am a handbag collector and they have a selection of vintage and modern handbags like no other second hand that I have found in Rochester. I am also a reseller on Etsy and Ebay and I have found some really great bags at Saver's. They are always full with a great selection of just about anything you may be looking for. I have noticed in the last year that the staff have become savvy to resellers and prices have gone up considerably. If you know what you are buying you can still get a deal. Also, you can get a 20% off coupon if you donate. Win, Win!

I must also mention Tupelo Interiors 215 Norris Dr. Tucked back in a little industrial neighborhood off of Culver Rd near Cobbs Hill, it's a gem. Ron the owner is so sweet, helpful and welcoming. I have found the cutest vintage handbags here, the unusual ones that I have never seen elsewhere. He carries mostly mid-century, mid century modern furniture, decor pieces and some vintage tableware as well. Stop in to see Ron you will not be disappointed. Check out his FB page as well. He posts items daily and has items available for pick up if you are interested during the pandemic.


My favorite bag from Tupelo


These are 4 of my personal favorites, give them a try. I hope you find that special treasure too.

Here are a few other's that I frequent often and really enjoy. a few of these are great weekend drives as well.

Crossroads Antiques of Lima, NY- 7348 E Main St, Lima
Whistle Stop Antiques-6355 Knickerbocker Rd, Ontario
Rehouse-469 W Ridge Rd, Rochester

Hopefully this pandemic will subside soon so that we can all get back to what we love, shopping!

Happy Hunting!

Until Tomorrow-Be Safe

"The thrill of the hunt, for maybe today, I will find my antique from many yesterday's"



Comments

Popular posts from this blog