Day 18-

The Lilac-                                       

There is nothing in the world that smells as beautiful as a Lilac. As a little girl I can remember my parents had bush after bush of Lilac in every color, deep purple, lavender, pink and white. They all smelled heavenly! I waited each spring for them to bloom so that I could take the biggest bunch of them to my teacher at school. Mom would help me pick them and we would carefully wrap them in wet toweling and beautiful tissue with a bow. The delight it brought to my teachers face was shear happiness to me and nothing made me feel better. Year after year I brought Lilac's to all of my teachers every spring and year after year I enjoyed the joy on their faces, that first smell that lit up their eyes. They took their place on my teachers desk until the last flower had wilted and fallen.

                                                    Highland Park in Rochester | Day Trips Around Rochester, NY

                                               Botanicals: Flowering Shrubs - Sandra Frankel Photography

Today I have the same beautiful Lilac's in my own yard. Beautiful deep purple, lavender, pink and white. I have even added two Oriental Lilac to the mix which are beautiful but not in the same way as the old fashioned ones. I wait patiently each spring watching for the first blooms to smell, and there is nothing quite like it.


I am so fortunate to live in a place that has it's own Lilac Festival each year in one of the most beautiful and historic parks in our city. People come from all over the country to experience it, some of the Lilac's are over 100 years old and are still producing some of the most beautiful blooms.
This year however that festival has been cancelled because of Covid19. But, if we all wait until May we can still go to the park, walk away from life if just for a few minutes, to smell the beautiful Lilac's. And though we will miss the festival this year, we can never forget that wonderful aroma that is branded into our noses and into our souls....

                                                        Hake's - CPB PRODUCTS #326 "LILAC FESTIVAL VISIT HIGHLAND PARK ...

                                Rochester Lilac Festival (@LilacFestROC) | Twitter

"The smell of moist earth and Lilac's hung in the air like wisps of the past and hints of the future"

                                                Mt. Hope Cemetery & Highland Park - Great Runs


Until Tomorrow-Have a wonderful day-Be Safe

Comments

Popular posts from this blog